Welcome to the Creative Media Department
Creative Media at Altrincham College enables students to acquire technical knowledge and skills through vocational contexts by applying the learned knowledge and processes that are related to investigating, exploring and creating media products.
The BTEC qualifications that are studied at Levels 1, 2 and 3, aim to develop sector-specific knowledge and skills in a practical learning environment.
The main focus is on four areas of equal importance, which cover the:
- Development of key skills, such as investigating and developing ideas through pre-production, production and post-production of media products
- Process that underpins effective ways of working in creative media production, such as responding to briefs and feedback, planning and generating ideas
- Attitudes that are considered most important in creative media production, including personal management and communication
- Knowledge that underpins effective use of skills, process and attitudes in the sector such as production processes and techniques.
BTEC Creative Media Production
BTECs embody a fundamentally learner-centred approach to the curriculum, with a flexible, unit-based structure and knowledge applied in project-based assessments. They focus on the holistic development of the practical, interpersonal and thinking skills required to be able to succeed in employment and further/higher education.
WHAT IS THE COURSE ABOUT?
1. EXPLORING MEDIA PRODUCTS (Internally assessed): Part A - Investigation of a range of media products in terms of their Audience and Purpose (music videos, trailers, print adverts, computer games).
Part B - Exploring how media products are created to provide meaning and engage audiences (camera techniques, lighting, sound, costume, design techniques etc).
2. DEVELOPING DIGITAL MEDIA PRODUCTION SKILLS (Internally assessed): In this Component students will develop skills and techniques in publishing, page-layout and journalism by reworking an existing magazine concept.
3. CREATE A MEDIA PRODUCT IN RESPONSE TO A BRIEF (Externally assessed): Students have the opportunity to research, plan and produce their own print media product in response to a brief set by the exam board. This task includes the following Assessment Objectives:
AO1 Understand how to develop ideas in response to a brief
AO2 Develop planning materials in response to a brief
AO3 Apply media production skills and techniques to the creation of a media product
AO4 Create and refine a media product to meet the requirements of a brief
The qualification is designed for post-16 learners who may want to study media related degree courses in Higher Education or pursue a media-related career or other training programme.
Learners gain knowledge and understanding of creative digital media production across a range of varied units and develop an understanding of how to work within the media industries.
Areas covered include:
- Media theory
- Media careers
- Video editing
- Film Production
- Computer game design
- Digital magazine design
Skills developed include:
- Group work
- ICT application
- Ideas development
Meet the Creative Media Department
The department team consists of three members of staff, these are:
Subject Leader; Teacher of Level 1/2 Tech Level BTEC Creative Media Production, Level 3 National BTEC Creative Digital Media Production
Specialist subjects: Media Theory and Graphic Design.
Level 3 National BTEC Creative Digital Media Production
Specialist subjects: ICT & Video Editing
Level 2 and Level 3 BTEC Creative Media Production
Specialist subjects: Media Theory, Graphic Design and Video Editing
This subject enables students to develop a wide-ranging skills base, consisting of: analytical skills, language, communication, creativity, ICT application and wider reading.
We are immensely proud of the range of Fantastic Opportunities that we are able to offer our students.