Welcome to the English Department
As a team, we are committed to foster and build students’ skill and confidence in all areas of English study and we recognise that reading, writing and communication skills are essential for young people to reach their potential in school and fulfilling opportunities throughout life. Therefore, the English curriculum is built around development of these core areas, and every opportunity is explored to promote the highest standards. Consistency and creativity are the key principles which underpin every aspect of our practice. All our schemes of learning have vocabulary enrichment at their core to help our students to express their understanding with depth, clarity and creativity.
Meet the English Department
The department team consists of nine members of staff. These are:
|Mrs N Beatty||Head of Department|
|Dr J Stedman||Key Stage Lead: KS4 and 5|
|Mrs S Gatward||Key Stage Lead: KS3|
|Miss K Greenhalgh||Teacher of English|
|Mrs S McCarthy||Teacher of English|
|Mrs S Crossley||Teacher of English / Deputy SENDCo|
|Ms J O'Kelly||Teacher of English|
|Ms S Parnaby||Teacher of English|
At Altrincham College, students will study a wide and varied range of literary and non-literary texts, including: novels, poems, plays, newspapers, websites, advertisements and letters.
Our aim is to enable all students to:
- Develop an appreciation and love of reading,
- Read increasingly challenging material,
- Understand increasingly challenging texts,
- Read critically,
- Write accurately, fluently, effectively and at length for pleasure and information,
- Plan, draft, edit and proof read,
- Consolidate and build on their knowledge of grammar and tier 2 and tier 3 vocabularies to communicate with depth, clarity and creativity.
In order to facilitate this, we expect students to have a full set of equipment (pen, pencil, ruler, and eraser) for every lesson.